Can you imagine your day without music? That’s impossible, right? Even now, when I need to concentrate on writing this article, I’m listening to a Summer Electro Mixtape on Youtube. This background music sets the mood for my thoughts and boosts my energy like a cup of delicious morning tea.
Today, I would like to tell you more about how music affects your brain, your lifestyle and your habits. Let’s start with how music predicts our personality and then we’ll move further to three more interesting facts. Please enjoy, but first make sure to turn on the music you like!
Music genres we choose can predict our personality type
This fact was tested on young adults at Heriot-Watt University. In this study, couples spent time getting to know each other by looking at each other’s top 10 favorite songs. After studying the top 10 lists, they actually provided fairly reliable predictions of the other person’s personality types.
Here are the connections that music genres have with personalities:
- Blues fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle and at ease
- Jazz fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing and at ease
- Classical music fans have high self-esteem, are creative, introvert and at ease
- Rap fans have high self-esteem and are outgoing
- Opera fans have high self-esteem, are creative and gentle
- Country and western fans are hardworking and outgoing
- Reggae fans have high self-esteem, are creative, not hardworking, outgoing, gentle and at ease
- Dance fans are creative and outgoing but not gentle
- Indie fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard working, and not gentle
- Bollywood fans are creative and outgoing
- Rock/heavy metal fans have low self-esteem, are creative, not hard-working, not outgoing, gentle, and at ease
- Chart pop fans have high self-esteem, are hardworking, outgoing and gentle, but are not creative and not at ease
- Soul fans have high self-esteem, are creative, outgoing, gentle, and at ease
What’s your favorite genre of music? Did the connection prove true with your personality?
Now that you’ve gained further insight into music connections and personality predictions, let’s take a look at three more facts about music!
1. Ambient noises can improve creativity
It turns out that a moderate noise level can boost our creativity works is that moderate noise levels increase processing difficulty which promotes abstract processing and leads to higher creativity. Next time you have a creative task, try playing some ambient songs and mixtapes.
2. Music affects how we see faces
Even short, happy or sad songs can affect us. One study showed that short piece of music, participants were more likely to interpret a neutral expression as happy or sad to match the tone of the music they just heard.
3. Music distracts us while driving
Drivers were tested while listening to three noise selections provided by researchers: the driver’s choice of music, silence or “safe” music. Drivers made more mistakes and drove more aggressively when listening to their preferred choice of music. What’s even more surprising is that the music provided by the researchers proved to be more beneficial than no music at all. Conclusion: choose music for your car wisely, and don’t always listen to your favorite best-ofs as it might distract you from being a good driver!
Learn more about your personality with the help of hundreds of Personal Development courses, and, if you are especially interested in music, check out and enjoy our variety of Music Courses.